Growth in mission of Aberdeen Proving Ground will change the map of Harford County. The Army is relocating several research, development and support organizations to APG. Contractors supporting these organizations will also relocate to that vicinity. The majority will be here by 2010-2012. Planning for housing, schools, mass transportation and highways, water and sewer systems and recreational facilities must consider this growth. Federal, state, county and citizen organizations are involved in BRAC planning. You need to keep abreast and get involved if you wish to maintain our quality of life and rural character.
Friends of Harford Perspective
The excellent opportunity that BRAC has brought to our county must be managed properly with wisdom and in accordance with the County's vision described in the Master Land Use Plan of 2004. It is comforting to hear State and County officials echo this position. Also, a county employee testified in a rezoning hearing that there were sufficient existing houses and houses already planned to meet BRAC needs. However, county officials and external interested parties continually use BRAC to push for special treatment for developers and other pressure to expand the Development Envelope.
Friends of Harford had a member on the BRAC Planning and Advisory Committee (BPAC) and BRAC Land Use Subcommittee. Members also attend other meetings when we can. Done right, everybody wins. Keep your eyes open.
Published Plans, Reports and Links
- Harford County BRAC Information Site.
- Harford County government BRAC website
- 2008 APG BRAC Update Conference presentations
- Harford County BRAC Planning Advisory Commission (BPAC) Action Plan
- Maryland Base Realignment and Closure website Mostly empty of real content. See the next link instead.
- Maryland Dept. of Planning BRAC page A little more content.
- Harford County Master Plan and Land Use Element Plan, 2004
- U.S. Army Final Environmental Impact Statement for Aberdeen Proving Ground It was posted for public comment through 30 April 07 and now is final.
- Chesapeake Science & Security Corridor A regional strategic partnership formed to capitalize on and market capabilities in the area impacted by the APG BRAC growth (Formerly known as MarylandReady.com).
- Briefing on BRAC presented to County Council on 19 Jun 07 by COL Wright, APG Garrison Commander.